Birth of Jan in the hospitalkeyboard_arrow_down

The story of the birth of Jan in the hospital, first child for his parents 

Becoming a mother with Zwanger in Brussel

This is not a birth story. The birth of my son was just a piece of the much complicated, life-changing puzzle of becoming a mother. We tend to concentrate on that very moment – when you embrace your child for the first time. But how you prepare for it – and the support that comes right after this miracle throws your world upside down – is even more important. And this is why I am so happy I trusted the amazing ladies from Zwanger in Brussel to guide me on this happily-scary journey.

I remember researching the options of giving birth in Belgium before even trying to conceive and being delighted about the possibility of delivering with an independent midwife. I loved the idea of the woman helping a woman to birth, of being surrounded by familiar faces and having a calm, non-medicated, natural delivery. And then I found the website of Zwanger in Brussel. Something in the eyes of the ladies in the picture there – their smiles maybe – clicked with me immediately.

So a couple of days after seeing the two lines on the test I wrote to Arlind, asking for an appointment. Her reply started with congratulations – I distinctively remember those as the first congratulations I received. Nobody knew yet! Such big news, and only my husband, I and the midwife were aware… This changed pretty quickly though. On our first appointment in the studio, we jumped into a very good friend, who was doing yoga for pregnancy there. It was an emotional moment and secret was eventually kept for other couple of months, but seeing that my friend trusted Zwanger in Brussel gave me even more confidence.

The following 9 months seemed to last forever while I was pregnant, but now, three weeks postpartum, I feel the time flew away in a second! I went for regular appointments with the midwives, personally met each of them, and they were exactly as I imagined seeing them on that photo on the website – calm, positive, warm people, always full of reassuring advice, never too intrusive, supportive with whatever choice I wished to make. Most importantly – this was my first pregnancy, and I had a lot of questions and doubts coming urgently exactly when I was not having an appointment in a couple of days. And I called and called and there was ALWAYS someone – Febe, Arlind, Elke or Hanne – patiently explaining, checking, being flexible. I never felt stupid, or a burden. I felt understood and supported.

The midwife care is supported by regular scans in the hospital of your choice – in our case St Jan – or your gynaecologist. I loved this approach because it ensures that everything is monitored, but in a calm way – always assuming everything is normal. You don’t need a doctor to follow your pregnancy – doctors are for when you are sick, they know all the possible problems and solutions, but tend to focus on looking for the problems. And in most pregnancies, there are no problems! And this was exactly the feeling that Zwanger in Brussel gave me each time I saw them. I felt calm and confident.

My baby boy was born almost a week after his due date. I was preparing for a long and difficult birth – as I grew up with my mom’s stories about the 24-hour births of her two daughters. I was sure that genes played an important role and did a lot of mental preparation for the many hours of labour that awaited me – hypnobirthing classes with Arlind (yes, you can do that, and it’s great!), breathing techniques, etc. I also followed the advice received by the midwives – eat dates and do some exercises for a good foetal positioning. I stayed active until the very end – I went for a swim the day that my boy was born!

It was actually in the pool where I felt some menstrual pains for the first time – and a thought crossed my mind that maybe – MAYBE! – baby was finally coming. My mom had arrived a couple of days before, and my husband took some holidays to share the last days together – only the two of us – before the baby arrived, so after the pool our happy group went for a walk to the city centre of Brussels. My office happens to be right at Grand Place, so I passed by the say hi to my colleagues and show my enormous baby bump for – I hoped – the last time. When we went back home, I felt more of that funny pain around my ovaries, and decided to nap – also following the advice received by the midwives. An hour later (what I now know were) proper contractions started – mild, regular, bearable. To take my mind off the topic of OH MY GOD I’LL BE GIVING BIRTH SOON my mom and I started watching series – but 20 min into the first episode I could not sit down during the contractions. My back was hurting, and I was restless. My mom gave me a tearful look: “It’s starting!”.  Things were still pretty calm in my head – and in my body. My husband started cooking dinner, and I went for a hot shower, to try to relax even more. But contractions were not fading – they were intensifying and getting really painful. In an hour the situation went from “I’m handling this like a boss” to “OMG, if this is the start, I’m not sure I wanna get to the end!!”. I monitored the contractions and they were 3 minutes apart. Still walking and talking through them, I decided to call the midwives – just in case, even though I was sure it was way too early. Only a couple of hours had passed since I felt anything at all. Good that I called. Good that I had the confidence to call them “just in case”. Elke picked up and hearing my voice, she decided to come over and check me. Half an hour later she gave me the news – 5 cm dilated, time to head to the hospital. Pain was strong, but I was so happy that things were moving so fast. My mom could not believe it. My husband kept calm – or at least pretended. Later he told me he really was calm – that Elke’s presence made him confident everything was under control.

So we went to St Jan – and things got really hectic there. Contractions were very strong and less than a minute apart. I was screaming and groaning and moaning and moving through them – there was no other way to bear the pain. I remember Elke constantly telling me that I am doing a great job – I didn’t believe her, and I felt helpless against the force from within my body – but it felt so good to have someone believing in you. I changed positions as Elke suggested – and I suddenly felt the urge to push! It was actually a much stronger feeling – my body was pushing already, and I simply couldn’t resist it. Elke suggested I moved to the birth stool. There my husband – who had been there the whole time, quietly and calmly reassuring me with his presence and the firm hold of his hand – embraced me and I started to push, following the signals of my body. I remember my surprise when Elke left the room – to return a moment later with another midwife. “Ok, here we go! This must be the final countdown!” I remember thinking. Elke said she was seeing the head crowning, I screamed shamelessly because of the intensification of the pain, and then, the most stupid question: “Is there hair?”. “Yes!” Elke replied proudly. One more push and HE was out – puffy, swollen, red, and quiet. I looked at the tiny little human in my arms, and I couldn’t believe how on earth he had appeared. Everything went so fast. And why wasn’t he crying? And there he started screaming. LOUD! I felt so happy. So strong. Wonder woman. Mother.

With the help of Elke and my husband, I stood up and moved to the bed. Elke put Jan on my breast, and I was astonished by the force of his grip on my nipple. So strong, my dear son, and so alive! I had to be stitched, so my husband took the baby skin to skin. Elke was holding my hand, while the gynaecologist was working on my rather complicated tear. It hurt, and I was tired. I remember looking into Elke’s eyes, and her smile – “You did a good job. This will be over soon. Everything is ok.” I was crying, but her presence in that moment, her being there and looking into my eyes – I will always remember this.

We stayed in the hospital for other two days. I was really surprised by the amount of attention we received from all caregivers. Everyone was so kind, so patient. Breastfeeding started very well just because every time Jan was hungry - that was every hour or even less – a midwife or a nurse would come and show me how to do it. It is such a special, magical moment – when you discover you can actually feed your baby! You are the only one who can do that in the whole universe! And your son knows that too!!

At home, Elke and Arlind visited us regularly, helping me with all possible questions and mainly with breastfeeding. Elke taught me to breastfeed while lying on my side – which made the nights with my always hungry son much easier. I would put him on the breast and fall asleep, waking up in 30-40 min to find him peacefully sleeping with the boob still in his mouth. When the sweetness of the first days passed, fatigue became unbearable and crying started. Early motherhood feels lonely and frightening – long days with a fuzzy baby at home, not sure what you are doing wrong. So I went to the Babyboost –  a great place for new moms. I was surrounded by women going through exactly the same challenges, we talked about babies crying and crying and for apparently no reason. I was the only person not speaking Dutch there – so all of the other ladies switched to English. This was so kind.  And it helped, enormously.

I am finishing writing this, and more than a year has passed. Looking back, I would not change a single thing. Thank you, amazing midwives. I am a mother now.

Geboorte van Anton in het ziekenhuiskeyboard_arrow_down

Het verhaal van de geboorte van Anton in het ziekenhuis, tweede kindje voor zijn mama's.

Donderdagavond 14 februari. Eva en ik kijken naar de finale van De Dag. Ondertussen krijg ik sms'jes van vriendinnen. Of het dan toch geen Valentijnskindje zal worden?
Nee. Gelukkig maar, lijkt me. Je verjaardag wil je niet per se delen met de patroonheilige van de chocoladeharten en de hotelarrangementen.
Maar ik voel wel dat het 'op handen' is. Ik heb veel harde buiken en eerder die dag ben ik een soort yoghurtachtige substantie verloren. Een hele kwa(r)k. Even dacht ik dat het vruchtwater was. Maar het was geurloos en bleef niet lopen. Een telefoontje naar Hanne stelt me gerust. Waarschijnlijk gewoon afscheiding.
We gaan slapen, Eva in de logeerkamer en ik in ons bed. Niet gezellig, al zeker niet op Valentijn, maar de laatste dagen snurk ik zo hard dat Eva zich in een belegerd Bagdad waant.
Om kwart voor drie word ik wakker. Pijnscheuten die van boven naar onder door mijn buik trekken. Hoewel, pijn is veel gezegd. Een zeurderig 'wee' gevoel. Zijn dit contracties? Ik besluit af te wachten en de intervallen te timen. Zo'n 12 minuten. Ik lees nog een uurtje in het exemplaar van 'Duik in je weeën', dat Elke me vorige week heeft uigeleend. Dan trek ik naar de logeerkamer om Eva in te lichten. 'Ik denk dat het begonnen is, schat'. Ze is meteen klaarwakker.

We wachten tot er echt regelmaat in de weeën zit en bellen dan naar Hanne. Ze zal er binnen een uurtje zijn. Ik ijsbeer door de woonkamer. Eva downloadt een weeëntimer en noteert daarin ook de intensiteit: zacht, matig of hard. Wow, dit was een harde, zeg ik. Wist ik veel. Dit was nog niks in vergelijking met het échte werk, maar dat zou ik pas veel later ontdekken.

Hanne arriveert. Zij neemt het timen over en Eva gaat onze zoon Walt wekken en klaarmaken voor school. Tussen de weeën door babbel ik met Hanne. Gewoon wat smalltalk. Dat het zo'n mooi weer belooft te worden. En over haar huisgenoten die zo meeleven met haar avontuurlijke vroedvrouwenbestaan. Walt komt de trap af. 'Is mijn broer er nu al uit?', horen we hem vragen. Hanne schiet in de lach. Kleuters hebben duidelijk een optimistisch beeld over de duurtijd van het geboorteproces.

En dan begint het bekende ochtendritueel. Walt die tergend traag en druk babbelend een boterham binnenwerkt aan de ontbijttafel en de actualiteit op Radio 1 op de achtergrond. Alsof er niets aan de hand is. Plots vallen mijn weeën stil. Volkomen normaal, zegt Hanne, door de drukte. En inderdaad, zodra onze taterwater naar school is, en ik weer in stilte door de woonkamer hobbel, hernemen ze. 

Rond 8u30 checkt Hanne hoe ver we al staan. De baarmoederhals is verstreken en erg soepel, en ik heb anderhalve centimeter opening. Een gunstig touché, noemt Hanne het. Maar omdat we nog een hele weg te gaan hebben, stelt ze voor om nog wat huisbezoeken te gaan doen (de drukke agenda van een vroedvrouw). Ze raadt ons aan om nog even te rusten en rond de middag opnieuw contact op te nemen.

Eva en ik kijken naar een documentaire over de gisteren overleden gitarist Willy Willy van de Scabs. Ik grotendeels rechtstaand, heen -en-weer lopend of wippend op de zitbal. Zodra ik ga zitten of liggen is de pijn erger. Na elke wee moet ik naar het toilet. Vervelend maar dan zal ik al zeker geen kaka moeten doen tijdens het persen, hoop ik stiekem. Ik moet ook overgeven. De foute richting, denk ik. 'Open en onder, open en onder', herhaal ik het riedeltje uit ‘Duik in je Weeën’.

We besluiten een ommetje te gaan maken. Het is prachtig weer. Het voelt heel bijzonder, in het eerste lentezonnetje, wetende dat dit onze laatste wandeling is voor we er een zoontje bij krijgen. Het wandelen bevordert de weeën. Ze komen om de 4 a 5 minuten nu. Ik moet steeds vaker stoppen met wandelen en houd me vast, met mijn armen rond Eva's nek om de wee op te vangen. Gelukkig wonen we in een rustige buurt en zijn er bijna geen mensen op straat. Want het is een heel schouwspel. Een strompelende vrouw die om de zo veel meter halt houdt om met gebogen knieën en de poep achteruit, haar armen rond de nek van haar vriendin te werpen.

Terug thuis bellen we Febe, die nu van wacht is. Omdat de weeën sneller en heviger worden, besluiten we meteen in het ziekenhuis af te spreken. Terwijl Eva de auto laadt, pak ik een dichtbundel vast die op de salontafel ligt. Maya Angelou. Ik lees haar bekendste gedicht ‘Still I Rise’. Over de kracht van vrouwen. En ik het geeft mij kracht. Ik voel me sterk en op een vreemde manier opgelaten. Ik ben aan het bevallen. Ik ben het gewoon aan het doen. Iets wat generaties vrouwen me hebben voorgedaan. Eindelijk zal ik ook deel uitmaken van die stille, eeuwenoude genootschap. Die gedachte geeft me adrenaline en ik besluit het dichtbundeltje mee te nemen naar het ziekenhuis. Vol vertrouwen stap ik in de auto. Maar daar vallen mijn weeën stil.

Even word ik nerveus. Alles ging zo goed. Waarom valt het nu stil? Ik verlang weer naar toenemende regelmaat en intensiteit van voordien. Naar mijn riedeltjes uit ‘Duik in je Weeën’. Maar ik hoef geen riedeltjes op te zeggen want er gebeurt niets. 1 zwakke wee op de hele weg naar het ziekenhuis, een rit van 20 minuten. Maar dan denk ik aan wat Hanne die ochtend zei. Bij veranderingen van omgeving, van situatie, kan het stilvallen. Ik probeer erop te vertrouwen dat dit maar een tijdelijk intermezzo is.

We parkeren en ik waggel puffend voorbij de bonte mix van mensen die je tegenkomt op de route van de parking naar de ingang van Sint-Jan.

We worden heel vriendelijk ontvangen op het verloskwartier. Ik krijg een balzaal van een verloskamer toegewezen en de vroedvrouw van dienst, Els, zegt me dat ik aan de monitor moet. Ik panikeer even, want ik wil liever niet op bed liggen. De pijn is dan veel heviger. Maar blijkbaar (o dankuwel, Philipstechnologie), bestaan er mobiele contactdoosjes waarmee je draadloos aan de monitor kunt. En waardoor ik dus kan blijven rondwandelen, voor mij de ideale manier om de weeën op te vangen.

Febe arriveert. Ze maakt meteen een van de monitordoosjes los. ‘Deze heb je niet nodig, zegt ze. Je voelt zelf wel hoe intens een wee is, dat hoeven we niet op een schermpje te lezen’. De hartslag van ons kleintje controleert ze wel op gezette tijden. ‘Hij voelt zich goed en heeft er zin in’, zegt ze. Ze komt vastberaden en kalm over, dat stelt me gerust. Febe doet dit elke dag. Vrouwen doen dit elke dag.

Eva installeert mijn derde geboortepartner. Het kleine dingetje dat me door de rest van de bevalling heen zal helpen. Mijn dierbare Bose Soundlink-luidsprekertje (sorry voor de reclame, maar dit is mijn beste aankoop ooit). Ze zet mijn lijst met favoriete muziek op. Muziek. Mijn safe place, mijn manier om in een stemming te komen, om kracht te putten. Terwijl onder meer Nick Drake, Sade en The War on Drugs passeren op de achtergrond, raak ik in een soort ‘interne modus’. Ik ben volledig in mezelf gekeerd en op mezelf gefocust. Ik zie kleurijke patronen voor mijn ogen, als een soort mandala’s. De pijn is sterk en intens maar op een vreemde manier geruststellend, elke wee brengt me dichter bij ons zoontje. Ik voel de geruststellende aanwezigheid van Eva, stilzwijgend en vanzelfsprekend biedt ze me haar nek aan, waar ik regelmatig rond ga hangen als er een hevige wee is. Af en toe voel ik Febe tegendruk geven op mijn onderrug tijdens een wee, wat verlichting brengt.

Febe stelt voor om enkele oefeningen te doen liggend op het bed, waardoor ik mijn bekken kan voorbereiden op de doortocht van de baby. Van de oefening zelf herinner ik me niet veel, dus ik kan het niet exact omschrijven. Behalve dat ik blij was dat ik weer van het bed afkon, en weer rechtstaand, wiegend, boven mijn luidspreker kon gaan hangen, dichtbij de muziek die me in een soort trance brengt.

Wanneer de weeën nog heviger worden, stelt Febe voor het bad te laten vollopen. Ik stap in het bad maar word overmand door de pijn. Ik kan zelfs niet gaan zitten. Ik blijf verkrampt rechtstaan. Voordien had ik de pijn kunnen ‘omarmen’, maar nu lukt dat me niet meer. De pijn omarmt mij, verzwelgt mij. Bij een ongemeen krachtige wee, zie ik plots vanalle schilfertjes in het water drijven. Mijn vliezen zijn gebroken, en de weeën worden nog erger. Plots krijg ik hevige persdrang. Mag ik duwen? Ik moet duwen! Maar omdat ik verkrampt in het bad sta, heeft Febe mijn opening nog niet kunnen checken. Ze wil eerst zeker zijn dat ik volledig ontsloten ben. Eva en Febe moedigen me aan om terug uit het bad te komen. Maar ik blokkeer. Het lukt niet, ik red het niet, is alles wat ik tussen de pijn door kan uitbrengen. Het voelt alsof ik openscheur. In een moment van sterkte denk ik aan het fotoboek BirthDay dat ik van mijn moeder heb gekregen voor mijn verjaardag. Ik zie de foto’s van Congolese vrouwen die gewoon op de grond moeten bevallen, in groezelige kamertjes. Zonder ZIB. Zonder Nick Drake. Zonder Aquarius en Dextro Energy. Zonder het vooruitzicht op een warme douche en een tas soep. De gedachte aan de miljoenen vrouwen in de wereld die in primitieve omstandigheden moeten bevallen, geeft me de kracht om eindelijk uit het bad te sukkelen en naar het bed te strompelen. Febe controleert en ik heb 10 centimeter ontsluiting. Ik mag persen. Halleluja! Draai je maar op je buik, zegt Febe, en dat doe ik. Dit blijkt een heel goed advies. Op handen en knieën persen blijkt voor mij dé manier. Al snel hoor ik Eva zeggen dat ze het hoofdje kan zien. En dat er haar op staat . Ik pers met alle macht die ik in me heb. Open en onder, open en onder, blijf ik in mezelf herhalen, als een soort mantra. Ik voel dat Eva af en toe mijn snot komt afvegen (jawel, ik ben verkouden, uitgerekend nu). Dan gaat ze zo snel mogelijk weer naar het andere eind van het bed om de geboorte van ons kindje vanop de eerste rij mee te maken.

En ja hoor, na een halfuur persen is hij daar. Onze zoon. Onze Anton. Hij is zo klein, hoor ik Eva zeggen. Febe zegt me dat ik hem mag nemen, tussen mijn benen door. En dat doe ik. Het gevoel is overweldigend. Ik heb dit klein nieuw leven op de wereld gezet. Hij ligt op mijn borst, heel wakker, met grote ogen doet hij zijn eerste indrukken op. Ik ben zodanig zo in een roes, dat ik vergeet dat de placenta nog moet komen. Er zijn 40 minuten verstreken, en Febe dringt nu toch aan om wat te duwen (ook al heb ik geen weeën meer) zodat de placenta geboren kan worden. Maar hij komt voorlopig niet. Febe besluit mijn blaas te ledigen via een katheder en dat helpt. Daar komt ook de placenta. Ik hoor Febe aan Eva uitleggen hoe die placenta in mekaar zit, en hoe de vruchtzak eruit ziet waar ons mannetje 9 maanden in gewoond heeft.

Ik blijk enkele kleine scheurtjes te hebben, die Febe vakkundig hecht met behulp van een verdovende spray. Het is 18u ’s avonds en het schemert in Brussel, de verloskamer baadt in een mooi blauw licht. En mijn muziek blijft onverstoord spelen. Vroedvrouw Els van Sint-Jan zegt, ‘amai, dat is hier gezellig’.

En ik kan haar alleen gelijk geven. Gezellig, intiem, intens, bekrachtigend. Een bevalling uit het boekje. Letterlijk. Want als ik later in mijn ZIB-boekje mijn geboorteplan nalees, kan ik bijna overal een kruisje zetten. Arbeid thuis, muziek, geen epidurale, zonder medische interventie, zonder knip. Alleen bij ‘baby spontaan laten aanhappen aan de borst’, kan ik geen kruisje zetten. De borstvoeding zal voor mij en Anton een redelijk lang leerproces blijken. Maar ook dat is intussen goed gekomen. Met dank aan de vroedvrouwen van de materniteit van St.Jan die me hebben bijgestaan die eerste dagen en nachten. Ilse, Els, Inge, Caroline, Gulser, Vera, en iedereen die ik nu nog vergeet.

En vooral ook dank aan Zwanger in Brussel. Om mij het vertrouwen te geven dat ik dit kon. Om vrouwen het vertrouwen te geven in hun eigen kracht.

Dankzij jullie is dat bevallen mij uitstekend bevallen!

Geboorte van Zana in het ziekenhuis, vaderperspectiefkeyboard_arrow_down

Ik heb twee redenen om ongelooflijk fier te zijn. Een: een maand geleden kreeg ik van een ons goed gezinde Moeder Natuur een prachtige dochter cadeau. Met alles erop en eraan. Gezond en uitermate knap. Ze zou de Miss Baby verkiezing op de materniteit moeiteloos gewonnen hebben. Twee: ik heb een vriendin die gemaakt is om kinderen te baren (dixit onze hulpvaardige vroedvrouw). Twee maal topgeluk want wie heeft er nu niet graag een kind dat van alle oren en poten voorzien is én een vrouw die dan ook nog eens over de juiste skills lijkt te beschikken om dat kleine ukkie ter wereld te brengen. Ik kan je verzekeren, het spaart je heel wat zweet uit.

Net zoals alle andere mannen was ik nerveus voor dit moment suprême. Het besef dat er iets fundamenteel ging veranderen in mijn leven kwam bij mij rijkelijk laat. Zo’n drie dagen na de geboorte. Toen pas leek mijn frank te vallen dat het kleine aapje in mijn armen de rest van haar leven aan mij verbonden zou zijn. Het was een heuglijk moment.

Het besef dat mijn vriendin een natuurlijke krachttoer zou ondergaan kwam ook al rijkelijk laat. Zowat bij de derde wee die uit haar een diepe oerkreet naar boven wist te vissen. Bij de eerste twee weeën was ik te verbouwereerd over wat ik zag en hoorde. Iemand pijn zien hebben omdat hij met z’n knie tegen een tafelpoot stoot is één ding. Je vriendin een wee zien ondergaan is iets helemaal anders. En hoewel de sessies die we volgden, waaronder de bijzonder gezellige avonden bij Zwanger In Brussel, heel wat nuttige info verschaften, lijkt de realiteit nét altijd iets indrukwekkender dan je verwacht had.

En toch kan ik zeggen dat het allemaal beter mee viel dan ik in mijn nachtmerries ervoer. De grootste angst van een man is om zich op zo’n moment aan de zijlijn te moeten toekijken. Iemand over-intense pijn zien ondergaan is uiteraard niet tof. Maar toch moet je proberen om jezelf een plaats te geven. Mij hielp het in elk geval. En als je die plaats er even niet is dan moet je die ook niet forceren. Luister daarom ook naar wat je vrouw of vriendin zegt. De mijne zei al op voorhand dat ik haar met rust moest laten als ze pijn had. Mijn vriendin is een heel zachtaardige en lieve vrouw, maar als ze pijn ondervindt dan plooit ze zich graag in haar zelf op. Ik heb in de eerste uren dan maar het huis opgeruimd. Je bent bezig én je komt na de bevalling in een proper huis terug. Twee vliegen... Maar na alles nog een derde keer drie centimeter verplaatst te hebben, leek het mij wel welletjes geweest. Dan toch maar naast de pijnlijder plaats nemen. En wat blijkt? Er gewoon zijn is op zo’n moment ook al voldoende. Zoals mijn vriendin gevraagd had, ging ik niet over haar hoofdje aaien als ze een pijnscheut in haar rug gespiest kreeg. Ik keek er naar terwijl mijn hoofd de moeilijkst op te lossen rekensom ter wereld leek te verwerken. Tussen de weeën door keuvelden we lekker met de ondertussen toegekomen babyverlostster. Op dit punt van de bevalling zaten we nog steeds thuis, in onze met pianomuziek gevulde woonkamer.

Naarmate de weeën toenamen, nam ook het enthousiasme van onze verloskundige toe. Zij leek commentaar te geven bij een voetbalmatch (“ja, goed zo!” en “moooooi, zo heb ik het graag!”) en werd euforisch bij weer een nieuwe, intensere pijngolf. Onder ons: bevreemdend en geruststellend tegelijkertijd. Het leek op een scene uit een David Lynch film. Twee mensen die in een half verduisterde living staren naar iemand die met de knieën op de grond kreten uit het diepste puntje van haar buik braakt. Ik sloeg een zucht van verluchting wanneer onze vroedvrouw het vertrek naar het hospitaal aankondigde, alwaar wij getroond zouden worden tot de gelukkigste twee mensen op de planeet. 

Over de bevalling zelf zou ik kort kunnen zijn. Het was even zoeken voor mijn vriendin naar de ideale positie. Dat je de bevalling niet meer in bed met je voeten in beugels hoeft te doorstaan is ongetwijfeld een vooruitgang. Het is duidelijk ook een goed bewaard geheim. Tijdens de infosessies bleek dat er maar weinig mensen van op de hoogte waren. Het zoeken naar die ideale positie nam wat tijd in beslag. Meer dan de eigenlijke geboorte. Geen erg. Een goede positie vinden is belangrijk voor alle partijen. En hier in de verloskamer, die op het late uur van onze aankomst er heel rustgevend bij lag, vond ik zelf snel mijn plek. Ik was blij mijn vriendin bij bepaalde posities te kunnen ondersteunen. Wanneer er geperst moest worden kon ik dicht bij haar aanmoedigende woorden toefluisteren. Het leek welkom te zijn. Een hele opluchting want op die manier ben je toch bij de bevalling betrokken en heb je tenminste het gevoel een klein beetje geholpen te hebben.

De rust in het ziekenhuis deed bijna denken aan een vakantiestemming. Het was er enorm warm in de verloskamer. Via het open geklapte raam dwarrelde de stilte van de nachtelijke stad naar binnen. Onze vroedvrouw, mijn god wat ben ik haar dankbaar voor die avond, zat heel de tijd op de grond persweeën te bestuderen. Het feit dat er heel de avond lang niemand anders dan wij drieën - vier als je ons ukje mee rekent - in die kamer waren maakt dat dit een droombevalling is geweest. Geen dokters, geen gynaecologen en geen verpleegsters die de kamer binnen en buiten lopen en dingen roepen die je niet begrijpt. Ik had nooit durven denken dat een bevalling zo rustig kon zijn. In mijn gedachten was het een chaotisch en zenuwachtig gebeuren waarbij je als man ergens in een hoekje staat de draaien terwijl je vriendin je allerlei verwensingen naar het hoofd slingert. Niet dus. Goed, je moet het ook niet vergelijken met een uitstap naar de Beekse Bergen maar vaak wordt het ook overroepen door alle verhalen die je te horen krijgt. 

Als je trouwens rekening zou moeten houden met alle horrorverhalen die je hoort dan zouden de geboortecijfers een diepe duik nemen. Hoeveel mannen hebben de afgelopen maanden niet staan leuteren tegen mij dat het leven voorbij is wanneer dat kind er zou zijn. Of ze verwijzen knipogend naar hun kalende hoofd of hun grijze haren. Volgens mij is het hen vooral te doen om te pochen over iets dat jij nog niet hebt meegemaakt. Op zo’n moment worden muizen wel eens getransformeerd tot olifanten. Onze dochter is nog maar een maand oud, maar ik beloof plechtig nooit aanstaande vaders de kast op te jagen. Integendeel: make love and get pregnant. Het is een fantastische ervaring.

Homebirth of Kalokeyboard_arrow_down

The story of the homebirth of Kalo, third child for her parents.

I am a yoga teacher (sort of) and I have had 2 previous births. Both were quick, clean, messy and perfect, in the way that only births can be. One even included a child born in the caul, the other, an immense amount of meditation and the experience of holding a rock and seeing bright white light streaming out of it into the sky. Yet with all of these occurrences, I still have never written a birth story. But perhaps for my last and final tribute to creation itself, I can write something down. Something that honours the three births that I had, something that gives honour to the perfection that is my daughter.

The pregnancy was hard, not hard as in I needed to be on bed rest and cancel my life but hard as in, I caught every cold virus that went around my office and had a tough time coping with a travelling husband, a crazy overbooked schedule including organizing an 80th and a 40th birthday party and sever issues regulating my emotions in a professional context. In particular, I struggled with making sure the other kids were happy and settled in their new life in this fairly new country before a new baby came and to a certain extent wondering why I was doing this. Had I, in fact, made a mistake, and was I ruining our really quite perfect life. 2 kids, 2 UN careers, a happy marriage, a BMW (yes, that was a joke, I mean we do have one but it is not part of our happiness).

But because I had to, I went ahead, I did it anyway and I struggled through it with the best of them. And then went on maternity leave, loved my little boys so much on a perfect holiday for four and then again at home for a couple of weeks, stuck them in a summer day camp and then took a break. Should I have finished a few things off or done a last cooking/cleaning session before that break? Yes, but instead I went to a club, swam, did a hammam, laid out in the 25 degree Belgian summer sun and relaxed. Afterwards I asked the babysitter to look after the boys after camp that evening so I could go to pregnancy yoga with the best teachers in the world. I came back home and slept like a log. And so, of course, predictably for me, when my pregnant body tired and overwhelmed with attempting to be a super-human at work and then a super-human at home experienced rest, it decided to cut all losses and get this baby out. I woke up the next morning to the beginning of my usual 10-12 hours of the beginnings of labour. Contractions that feel like a period, the loss of a mucous plug (still have no idea why we can't find a more glamorous term for that thing) and the feeling that I have a few hours to do my business before I’m blissfully out of it for a few weeks. I took a walk around the pond with my boys, asked the au pair to take them for the afternoon, called my husband – told him why I was annoyed with him that morning, asked him to be home after lunch and gave him a list of things to do, took a 2 hour nap and got ready for the most intense birth experience I have ever had (small sample size though, n=3.)

And so, the kids are in bed and its 10 or so now and I’m watching ‘my show’ (it’s the good wife at the moment, after this baby I am so having a career change to be a corrupt Chicago lawyer.) I stop the show, I sleep for a couple hours and am woken at 1:30am. I realize that probably the contractions are so annoying that I can’t sleep so I run the bath and call the midwife (also used to be one of my shows). Ahmed can’t sleep so he wants her to come so he can go downstairs and sleep (some might say romance has died, other might say – someone needs to get some sleep so the other two ragamuffins get looked after in the morning.) I dilly-dally on the phone (because let's face it I HATE telling people I need them) but then eventually say she should come.

She arrives at 2:30. She says ‘this is nice’ when she walks in. I assume she means the ambience, I am already in my usual ‘stoned/present’ mindset, the lights are off but there’s a candle on and I have my weird Tibetan chanting music going. She asks if I want her to check me. I say no because I think we can wait a bit. (I ask her later if she wants to but she says it’s not necessary.) Ahmed goes to sleep downstairs.

I sit in the bath and we chat. At some point I am just so hot I have to get out of the bath, I walk around, our bedroom is white, the walls, and the wooden floor and the ceiling is high. The bathroom is adjoined to the bedroom and we have those ridiculous side by side sinks built into a beautiful wooden counter. It’s safe to say it’s the most luxurious place ever to give birth. I feel like I am not in my life but in the life of someone elegant (I am sadly, the type of woman, who at 38 will totally pick my nose and fart if I think no-one is looking.) And then I walk to the closed window, naked, still too hot. I push against the hip-high window sill with my hands and I ask the midwife to push on my back when the contraction comes. I need my hips pushed together, rather than just pressure on my back. I look outside, I can hear the fountain in the lake, the street lamps shine on the trees and water, the clouds above the church are lit by the moon. There is an exceptional calmness in the air but I am brought back to my life by the pain of the contraction that is making it’s way across my belly.

After a short cooling time out of the bath, it’s just too painful and so I go back in. The midwife is on the phone a bit and I immerse myself in my world of meditation music and moaning. Presently, it starts. I breathe, I meditate, I make noises, more than before, than ever before. I sleep or near sleep between the contractions and wail my way through when they come. There is more movement around me, telephoning maybe, or other stuff, I’m pretty sure someone says the word ‘tea’. Inside me Kalo is moving. She is moving her legs and kicking around. It’s like no-one has given her the memo that we are getting to work. Why is she moving? Why is she not hunkering down to zip out there like a bullet (wishful thinking)? At some point there is another midwife and my husband and the contractions are so painful. I think that I have made a mistake. This baby is still having a party inside me and is not ready to come out yet. I am on level 3 contractions. (I have my own rating scale for contractions – 1) Let’s get cooking some last-minute post-natal dinners 2) Fuck I forgot this felt like this, where’s my bath and 3) Goddamit when is that ring of fire coming?) Yet, in my mind, because this baby is dancing I still think there are hours to go. For the first time ever I almost voice the concern in my head that I should be going to the hospital to anaesthetize this. I can’t do these contractions for another couple of hours. Morale is low.

Instead I say I need someone to hold me up and I need someone to hold my leg up. (In my mind I need more than that, I need someone to do this birth for me because I don’t really want to.) I just have no more strength because the speed and intensity have taken it away from me. And I say to them, ‘I need someone to tell me I can do this.’ My husband is holding me up and he is GREAT. He knows intuitively that he cannot be the one to tell a birthing woman she can do this. So he smiles at the midwife next to him. She takes the torch and says with a sweet smile, in a slightly Flemish lilt ,but nonetheless with a look of intensity on her face ‘You can do this, of course you can do this.’

However, it still isn’t going quick enough, the baby should be coming but it's not, it’s still moving around inside me. Dancing as if she’s got another dj set to go before she’s out, but then at some point I feel the beginning of the ring… the pushing, the moving down and the other midwife says ‘What can you feel now’ and I say ‘I can feel the ring.’ But for some insane reason the baby is still twisting and writhing inside of me, her arms, her legs, her whole body. She’s wriggling her way out, why why why? I get 3 or 4 pushes and then it’s THE CHOICE. Wait for a bit to regain strength during a last contraction or just go for it. Happily I choose to go for it because I’m pretty sure this is my last one and I just want this over with. The head comes out and the feeling of relief is the best ever, yes I know we have shoulders, placenta, 3 days of struggling on an off the toilet but the worst bit, that really awful terrible bit that you would never believe you could survive is done. And one midwife says, “let’s get this little boy out” and the other midwife says, “Well, we don’t know that yet.”

We thought she was just trying to keep the secret that is was a boy until we actually saw for ourselves. And then, somehow, when she comes out, she is a girl. And there was this moment, where my husband and I, proponents and parents of all boy families look at each other in wonder. I never thought, well I never really thought I needed the girl. I was prepared to be the mother of 3 boys. I mean, I was prepared and convinced that I would be the mother of 3 boys. But, there’s a part of me that was released in that sentence. For I have a little girl among my brethren and we are a blissful family of 5.

Thuisgeboorte van Ada, vaderperspectiefkeyboard_arrow_down

Vroedvrouw Arlind had het tijdens de hypnobirthingsessies nochtans geregeld herhaald: bij een tweede kindje zal het bijna zeker dubbel zo snel gaan. Maar toch dacht ik dat ik alle tijd van de wereld had en ben ik er in geslaagd om eigenlijk de echte geboorte van Ada te missen. Voor degene die denken dat ik in de file stond (heb geen auto) of ergens op café zat, jullie hebben het mis. Ik stond het verkeer te regelen voor onze deur... Ik loop misschien een beetje voor op de feiten. Bij de aanloop naar de geboorte was ik er trouwens echt wel met volle toewijding aanwezig!

Net voor ik op vrijdag 8 november naar mijn werk vertrok, is de mededeling er plots: ‘Ik voel al iets in mijn rug’. Dat rugpijn mogelijks weeën zijn, hebben we geleerd tijdens de vorige bevalling. Het plotse besef dat er ieder moment weer een kleine baby in huis kan zijn, is daar. Het is een weekje te vroeg, maar wat is een week op 9 maand? Als ik dan na een dagje werken afscheid neem van collega en vriend Jef en hij mij vervolgens er ook nog eens attent op maakt met de mededeling: ‘Prettig weekend en misschien tot maandag ;)’, besef ik dat de eerste ontmoeting met mijn dochter Ada ieder moment kan gebeuren. Ik kijk er naar uit en zie het helemaal zitten, maar heb toch wat zenuwen. Bij thuiskomst heeft Mieke nog steeds af en toe rugpijn. Ik maak snel nog een to-do lijstje voor de dag erop: 1) wateraansluiting van het opblaasbaar bad controleren, 2) camerastatief klaarzetten 3)…. Maar het was te laat… Na wat slapen komt Mieke me wekken met de melding dat de pijn heviger geworden is en het dus wel eens begonnen zou kunnen zijn.  Alle hens aan dek: Mieke zo veel mogelijk bijstaan bij de pijn en deze proberen te verzachten door onderrugmassage. Dit is trouwens een tip voor alle partners! Zo sta je er niet onnozel bij terwijl je vrouw afziet. Tussen de golven in (of weeën voor degenen die niet goed hebben opgelet tijdens de hypnobirthingsessies) zet ik de camera klaar en film ik al af en toe om te testen, en gelukkig lukt het me om de buis voor de watertoevoer van het bad te koppelen aan onze kraan. Fieuw! J Alleen hoe gaan we het kleine probleempje (van drie jaar) die rustig ligt te slapen oplossen? Het lijkt ons geen goed plan om Lander om 3u ’s nachts wakker te maken en hem naar de slapende buren brengen. Misschien een berichtje zenden naar de mama van Mieke, die meestal vroeg wakker is? Dan kan ze wanneer ze het ’s ochtends leest afkomen. Want in mijn hoofd verloopt de planning, zoals bij de eerste bevalling: 8 uur na de eerste zware golven de uiteindelijke geboorte. Nog tijd zat dus! Toevallig ligt de mama van Mieke wakker en deelt ze mee dat ze zich zal klaarmaken en zal vertrekken. Komt dus goed, probleem opgelost.

Nu alle aandacht voor Mieke haar rug en ondertussen de tijd tussen de weeën wat timen zodat we op tijd noodsignalen uitsturen naar de vroedvrouwen. Alles is nog rustig, denk ik. Mieke ziet er wel uit alsof ze pijn heeft, maar nog niets dramatisch, denk ik. Ook de timer geeft aan dat het nog niet het moment is om te bellen of het bad op te blazen en te vullen. Toch geeft Mieke rond 4 uur met aandrang aan om de vroedvrouw van wacht erbij te halen en het bad op te zetten, wat ik dan maar gewoon doe. Ik twijfelde, want het bad oppompen maakt echt wel veel lawaai, maar Lander slaapt gelukkig gewoon door. Hanne is er binnen de 15 minuten, wat een service zeg! Wanneer Hanne aankomt, is het menens. Nu hoef ik niet meer te timen om te zien dat de golven snel na elkaar komen. Hanne heeft, in tegenstelling tot mezelf, direct door dat het niet lang meer zal duren en laat Mieke plaatsnemen in het warme bad en belt Febe op, de tweede vroedvrouw van wacht.

Vroege vogel Lander merkt dat er iets aan de hand is en komt om 4u45 een kijkje nemen. Mama die in een bad zit midden in de woonkamer, dat is eens iets anders denkt Lander en zet zich op z’n potje naast het bad alsof het de normaalste zaak van de wereld is. Vervolgens heeft meneertje honger en eet hij, met grote ogen kijkend naar het bad, een koude pannenkoek op, snel uit de koelkast gevist, als ontbijt. Ik probeer mijn aandacht te spreiden tussen Mieke en Lander zijn willetjes. Na het ontbijt helpt Hanne met Lander om zich aan te kleden, zodat ik terug mijn handen vrij heb voor de onderrugmassage.

Febe en de mama van Mieke arriveren ongeveer gelijktijdig rond 5 uur. Ik ga naar buiten om de autostoel van Lander in de wagen te plaatsen. Ondertussen gaat de mama van Mieke even gedag  zeggen aan Mieke. Geen goed plan blijkbaar, de mama van Mieke staat direct terug op de stoep en vraagt me om te helpen bij het uitrijden. Terwijl ik instructies geef, komt Hanne me zeggen dat ik best naar binnen kom. Ik veronderstel dat Mieke graag nog wat massage wil en help de mama van Mieke eerst nog wat. Ik ga naar binnen en terwijl ik mijn schoenen uitrek, zie ik Hanne en Febe beide met de armen in het water en rara, wie komt daar tevoorschijn? Kleine Ada! Met nog een schoen aan kom ik erbij zitten en geniet ik van het mooie moment waarbij Ada zich rustig nestelt tegen Mieke. Ze ziet er perfect gelukkig uit! Het is twintig na vijf en ik bel direct de mama van Mieke op zodat ze terug kan komen met -het is nu officieel- grote broer Lander! Na de nageboorte komt Lander kennis maken met zijn kleine zusje, wat een mooi moment!

Ik heb alles gefilmd trouwens, behalve… de geboorte zelf… Ik had namelijk de camera uitgezet toen ik naar buiten ging, zodat er zeker nog genoeg batterij zou zijn voor hét moment....

Homebirth of Samuel, father perspectivekeyboard_arrow_down

It was a Friday night, Matilda (our Daughter) was in bed and if truth be told I was tired and looking forward to watching something on Netflix then enjoying an early night.  Monday was the predicted due date and despite being repeatedly told the second pregnancy could be early I still felt we would be waiting another two days.  But as it worked out I was wrong.

At 7.30pm Dorota informed me that she had a stomach ache, but wasn't sure if this was the beginning of labor or just something else.  In hindsight it seems pretty obvious that it was the beginning of events but at the time it didn't fell as if it would be.  This was probably due to her calm demeanor. But only an hour later Dorota had become sure that tonight would be the night.  But this was baby number 2, so we had heard before we had some time.  We both expected this to last for hours and not be seeing Sammy till the early hours of tomorrow morning.

Still after instruction from the midwives and for Dorotas own comfort the first thing to do was to wake Matilda and escort her by taxi to friends and then return as quickly as possible. Stage one went very well, in fact it was very enjoyable to be sharing a taxi with a very excited little girl. She was old enough to understand that something special was going to happen and a baby would be at her home soon, topped off by seeing the city and night and having a sleep over at a friends.  Yes it will always remain a very happy memory for me also.

I returned quickly, by which time Dorota was sitting on the inflatable ball knitting to take her mind of things. I set about making the room comfortable for her, lighting candles and putting Star Wars on as a simple distraction. Whilst all the time thinking we would still have a lot of time, so no need to rush.

Before 10 I called the midwife just to inform her that things had begun and that we would be calling back later when things had progressed.

I then suggested a little walk outside as we had done this before Matilda was born and it seemed to help. Dorota was happy with this idea, so candles out and a little slow walk just around the block.  We talked about the time before when she was caryingMatilda as well as simple things that we needed to do over the next few days and weeks.

We returned, candles were relighted and Star Wars was un-paused, Dorota returned to the ball.  Still fairly comfortable. Contractions were at this time frequent but not overly intense. We both still thought we would have a few hours of this with the intensity increasing gradually. So we where both calm with some knowledge of what would come. 

Dorota spoke of having some trepidation but she knew she could do it, and a part of her was happy it was coming nearer as it would then be over soon.  As well of course as having a baby boy in our arms.

The hour from 11 to 12 in my memory seems to have passed very quickly.  I have a recollection of only one clear thought and that was of the film. That is until Dorota told me the intensity of her contractions was really progressing fast and they where coming very often, maybe not regularly but often.  

Instinctively she got off the ball and moved to all fours in front of our sofa, where I massaged her lower back and spoke encouragingly. Making sure she knew how proud of her I was and am. I reminded her how brave and impressive she was the first time round in the hope that she would delve into those reserves once again.

At 11.55 I called the midwife to let her know that things had advanced quickly, although in my heart I thought we were at least an hour away, probably more till baby time.

The intensity of the contractions was really building up and we were breathing together I hope to aid the pain she was feeling. By now she felt as if the birth was imminent and she could feel it, but I remained calm thinking this is probably how it feels but it is not reality. I continued to massage Dorota's lower back and calm her by telling her the midwife will be here soon.  

I myself was feeling very calm still at this stage, after all I'd seen this before and I knew the calmer I was the better for the mother. So I spoke slowly simply, encouragingly and lovingly. 

Over the next 20 minutes I can only recall Dorota asking me how long it would be till the midwife arrived a number of times and her repeating that she thought he (Sammy) was coming now. My answer to the first question was always very soon, not long now.  My answer to the second was it probably feels that way but I think we have still time.

Dorota, in full labour by now, repeated he's coming now. So I removed her underwear with the purpose to just check and hopefully reassure her that he (Sammy) wasn't coming yet. And for about a second I was right. No baby yet. But then one second later his head appeared. No face, only dark hair. My immediate reaction was surprise, quickly followed by concern in case he couldn't breath, so I ever so gently cradled his head in my hands. Then very gently rotated his head a little, not by any force on my part but only with gravity. Then for the first time I saw the face of my baby boy.  Sammy.

The enormity of the situation hit me at this point with probably a thousand thoughts going through my mind simultaneously. I can recall the wonder of seeing my sons face for the first time, and the huge sense of responsibility I had at this moment. Some fear must have been there too, but I didn't allow myself to see it, the prevailing thought that came through was to slow my thoughts, stay calm as this would be the best thing for mother and child I can do.

So I believe my words were "OK he's here, I can see his head.  But it's OK I'm going to need you to push again alright".

I removed one hand from the baby to rub his mother's back but had to bring it back swiftly, as Dorota pushed and Sam was out.  A whole person, arms and legs were already here. I caught him in my lap and hands. A tiny slippery soft little person. For what seemed like seconds but was probably half a second there was silence. I remember thinking is he alright, will I need to do CPR, can I do it? But before I could finish my thoughts he gave out a scream which was swiftly followed by me saying he's here. And a perfect little boy was in my lap. A little bit slimy but perfect none the less.

I said something to Dorota, I don't remember what.  Then I reached for my phone to call the midwife to tell her he was here, and I believe her response was yes I can here that.

Dorota adjusted herself so she could see him, cradled him while still attached by the umbilical cord. I called the midwife and she was outside by then, I ran to the door and let her in leaving Dorota kneeling with Sammy in front of her. 

So now looking back, things did go fast but not with a sense of panic.  It was a simple birth, and although Sammy didn't enter the world quiet as planned I wouldn't change a thing.  

Dorota and I have two beautiful children now, and both have been born at home. I'm still searching for the words a month later, but to some degree I understand when I was told that the process is natural. As a man I can't get any closer to the experience of childbirth. I have the up-most respect for mothers and the experience they go through, and while the decision is always with them as to how they would like to do it, I would advocate the joy of keeping it simple and as little medicalisation as possible.

I have two great children, and they have a brilliant mother, we have very happy memories of when we got to meet them both for the first time. I'm pretty sure one day in many years when I'm even wrinklier I'll still be able to recollect them all and draw a smile, I think that makes me pretty damn lucky.

Story about breastfeedingkeyboard_arrow_down

Leila was born at home, in our comfortable and colourful living room. She had a long and complicated descent through the birth canal, but once she was born (sunny side up!) she was healthy and perfect. The first days with her were magical, but not at all easy. I was exhausted and still in pain and just wanted to curl up in bed with my little baby and found the breastfeeding very difficult. Just minutes after the birth she had latched perfectly and with almost no help (to my surprise!) but over the next few days she would latch on briefly and then unlatch and arch her back in protest. Seeing her in discomfort, added to the sadness of "failing" at the art of breastfeeding in front of my partner and of all the people that visited us during those first few days, was very frustrating for me. Luckily on the 4th day we figured out that her discomfort was due to the fact that she had not yet passed her meconium, so as soon as we put a bit of olive oil on her butt she instantly did. After that things got easier, she started nursing like a pro, and for about five weeks I thought "nice, all the hard stuff is now behind us!'. I still remember those wonderful weeks; she nursed happily, slept all the rest of the time, and allowed me to recover.  

Then on the 5th week suddenly we noticed she was arching her back again during feedings, and my serene, sleepy baby quickly became very fussy and cried so much it was heartbreaking. What was hardest for me was that she seemed to scream when she was in my arms and when I tried to breastfeed her. Her sleep cycle became a very stressful "20 minutes of sleep - 5 minutes of nursing - 30 minutes of crying" and this was happening day and night. Our doctor reassured me saying it was colics, or a growth spurt, or both, and that it would just pass, sooner or later. But every mom knows that when their child is in pain "sooner or later" does not sound soon enough at all. Of course I was relieved when Duncan, her dad, would pick her up and she would calm down and fall asleep in his arms, but at the same time it hurt me so much to not understand why the problem was me.

The day that Leila started refusing the breast I was desperate and called Elke. I told her that I was not convinced with what our doctor had said but that I had no energy to go look for a different doctor, and that I needed help ASAP. She came and observed our breastfeeding "battle", and said that to her it looked like Silent Reflux. We had never heard of it, and since our baby never spit up any milk, we hadn't considered reflux as a possible problem. And then she gave me the best piece of advice I had received until then in those difficult weeks: to join the mother group at Zwanger in Brussel, to share experiences and get advice from the midwives and from other breastfeeding moms. She also put me in contact with Elke, midwife at ZIB, who confirmed she too thought it sounded like Silent Reflux and offered me breastfeeding-friendly advice. I chose to specify "breastfeeding-friendly advice", because in the same days that I talked to Elke, I went again to see my doctor, and suggested to him it could be Silent Reflux, to which he suggested that maybe simply my milk was hard to digest for Leila, and that I could try "other brands" that she might like more. This, and a prescription for anti acids that we never bought, left us very unsatisfied. 

At Babyboost I learned all about reflux and about the many things I could to help Leila cope with it without giving her medication. I also learned not to be embarrassed when my baby cries and screams (and other people approach you to tell you she is crying because she is hungry/cold/hot/uncomfortable in the sling/tired etc. which is usually said with kind intentions but that still made me feel inadequate as a mother). Other mothers at the group had struggled with reflux before me, and so I started following bits and pieces of advice, and before I could notice any progress in Leila's condition, I noticed a big change in my attitude, because finally I felt like I was doing something to help her. We started holding her upright all the time (night time included, for a few weeks I slept reclined with her in my sling, so that she was never horizontal; I stopped eating dairy, started giving her probiotics and started feeding her more frequently (about every 30 minutes) so she would get smaller more frequent feeds. We met with An, the osteopath at ZIB, and she massaged Leila's diaphragm, which we think helped her. Things started improving slowly (which for the first weeks meant she was only crying 10 minutes instead of 30 after every feeding), and we never did find out which one of these things helped Leila get better, maybe they all did. By the time Leila was 10 weeks old, her reflux had gotten a lot better, and I could now relax during feedings (though still keeping her vertical) which felt like a dream.

Today Leila is almost 4 months old and we fit like two pieces of a puzzle. My breast is for her a safe and happy place to be, she often smiles with anticipation when I lift my shirt to feed her and most times when she is finished eating she either looks up and gurgles happily, or she is fast asleep. With the right support and advice, breastfeeding went from being a frustrating and sometimes painful battle with my baby to being our special peaceful moment together. I still often feed her in the sling and at night I feed her in a laid-back reclined position, because I have made the mistake at night to be too tired to sit up and so I feed her lying on my side, but I usually pay for that mistake by then spending the night awake with an unhappy baby. We have stopped the probiotics, and I have started eating a little bit of dairy again, and all seems to be going well. She now sleeps on her own on her inclined mattress in her co-sleeper next to me (by sleeping on her own I just mean not in my arms). Of course, we have days in which her reflux will come back (today was one of them... and maybe I realize I shouldn't have eaten all that chocolate AND an ice cream this morning), but now we know how to recognize it quickly and how to deal with it, so it lasts very little. 

Of course now Duncan, Leila and I have other challenges ahead of us (for now how to get a good night's sleep is on top of our list) but at least we now have a healthy and mostly happy baby and I love breastfeeding her. 

Mijn borstvoedigsverhaal, Junokeyboard_arrow_down

24 augustus 2019, start van de derde hittegolf in de zomer van 2019, maar vooral de geboorte van Juno in het UZBrussel, een stevig brokje van exact 4000g. Ik was uitermate gemotiveerd om borstvoeding te geven dus Juno werd snel – zoals het hoort – een eerste keer gestimuleerd om te drinken aan de borst. 

‘Dat is wel een hevige baby, zo happen, ze heeft precies niet veel geduld’ zei de vroedvrouw direct. Het was zoeken zowel voor mij als voor Juno, maar het feit dat er al heel snel een druppeltje melk kwam stelde me gerust en ik genoot van de intimiteit. Het aanhappen lukte niet zo vlot, maar met de hulp van de vroedvrouwen bleven we ons best doen. Pijnlijke tepels en de eerste kloven bleven uiteraard niet lang uit. Op dag 2 werd de weegschaal bovengehaald, 3700 g, afgevallen ‘maar nog net ok’. Gelden die 8% op dag 2 en 10% op dag 3 dan ook voor borstvoedingsbaby’s? Geen paniek alleszins, en wij bleven flink verder doen. 

De tweede nacht verliep niet zo vlot, Juno wou een laatste keer drinken rond 2u en daarna alleen maar geschreeuw. Niet willen slapen, niet willen eten. Een paar uur later werd al gezegd ‘Mevrouw, het is een zware baby, en het is zo warm, we zullen haar iets moeten bijgeven’. Maar ik kon toch niet nu al opgeven? Een krijsende baby in mijn armen, tranen bij mij, maar ik weigerde. Ik voelde me op dat moment de slechtste moeder ter wereld en hoopte dat Juno gewoon weer wou drinken maar ze bleef weigeren. Tegen de ochtend werden de twee opties besproken: starten met kolven en – als dat lukte – direct geven of toch bijvoeding opstarten. Dat het niet aan mijn melk productie kwam werd snel duidelijk en gelukkig nam Juno zonder problemen het flesje afgekolfde melk. Mijn laatste dag en nacht in het ziekenhuis bestonden dus uit baby aanleggen en kolven. Gelukkig wou ze in de loop van de dag ook zelf weer drinken, in rugby houding en met tepelhoed. Onze inspanningen leverden het gewenste resultaat en de dag nadien mochten we met een gewicht van 3740 g naar huis! De vroedvrouw nam contact op met de collega’s van Zwanger in Brussel om toch even te schetsen hoe onze eerste dagen waren verlopen en voor verdere opvolging.

De eerste dagen kwam Arlind aan huis en Juno kwam nog steeds mooi bij. Voor de zekerheid kwam Febe in het weekend langs en een week na haar geboorte was ze terug gezakt tot 3690 g. Teleurstelling bij mij natuurlijk, maar op dat moment met borstvoeding stoppen was voor mij geen optie. Febe stelde me ook enorm gerust. Juno dronk heel lang, vermoedelijk vergde het meer energie om te drinken dan dat ze eraan overhield. Ik zou starten met haar maximum een kwartiertje langs elke kant te laten drinken en vervolgens een flesje afgekolfde melk aan te bieden. Best wel intensief, telkens Juno aanleggen en ook nog eens 8 keer op een dag kolven maar zo gezegd zo gedaan. Haar gewicht evolueerde traag maar zeker in de goede richting. Twee weken na haar geboorte kwam Hanne langs, ik had toen voor mezelf uitgemaakt dat als ze dan niet echt een ‘goed pakje’ was bijgekomen, we zouden starten met bijvoeding. Maar net op dat moment kwam de 4 kilogram weer in zicht! Hoera! Nu we hier geraakt waren, was het evident om verder te gaan met 8 keer op een dag kolven. Na ongeveer 2,5 week had Juno opnieuw haar geboortegewicht en minderde ik met kolven. Drie weken na haar geboorte stapten we over op enkel borstvoeding op vraag. En dit ging goed, rond 4 weken zaten we mooi op 4400 g, waren we vertrokken? Kon ik eindelijk de onzekerheid loslaten? Want makkelijk was het niet, ik panikeerde heel snel als ik het gevoel had dat Juno minder goed dronk. Mensen op babybezoek begrepen dit meestal niet: ‘Ze heeft toch wat reserve zeker met haar 4 kg’. Natuurlijk had ze reserve! Maar ook een baby van 4 kg moet bijkomen. Bovendien heeft ze nogal stevige kaakjes, waar mensen ook vaak over begonnen, niet beseffende hoeveel moeite ik aan het doen was om dat gewicht in stijgende lijn te krijgen...

De weken gingen voorbij – met nog een borstontsteking rond 5 weken – en we werden verder opgevolgd. Juno kwam telkens wel bij, maar meestal niet echt veel en was daardoor toch een beetje van haar curve aan het glijden. Telkens die teleurstelling als je de cijfertjes op de weegschaal ziet, de onzekerheid bij mij en vooral de vraag: ‘Waarom gaat het niet beter? Wij doen zo ons best.’ Ik moet eerlijk toegeven dat ik ondertussen een haat-liefde verhouding had met de borstvoeding, maar dat de liefde en de intimiteit wel overwogen. Evengoed kon ik soms zeer moeilijke momenten hebben en de angst voor ‘Ohnee ze moet weer op de weegschaal’ bleef. Het was snel duidelijk dat Juno een zeer alerte baby was (en is), ze zou maar eens iets moeten missen! We beslisten om haar (nog) meer in de draagdoek te nemen overdag om wat meer te slapen, uiteraard ook uitermate belangrijk. Rond 9 weken zitten we dan eindelijk boven de 5 kilo! Joepie! Vijf kilo en bijna 60 cm met MIJN melk, maar ook de nodige hoeveelheid bloed, zweet en tranen (vooral dat laatste). Ik had soms het gevoel dat ik niet de beste mama voor Juno kon zijn, omdat ik – als zij vrolijk lag te spelen – al schrik kreeg voor de volgende voeding. Ze kon ook zo onrustig zijn aan de borst, continu aanhappen en loslaten, armen die langs alle kanten vlogen of beginnen wenen. Maar evengoed kon ze ook heel rustig drinken en dat was genieten. Drinken zonder tepelhoed hebben we lang geprobeerd, en ze kon het, maar ook hier liet ze telkens snel los en werd ze snel gefrustreerd. Rond 10 weken had ik een afspraak bij Elke, om mij vertrouwen te geven, dat ik de onzekerheid achter mij kon laten. Maar de weegschaal gaf aan dat Juno niet was bijgekomen, ze was zelf afgevallen. Opnieuw die teleurstelling bij mij en vooral verbazing bij Elke. ‘Ze ziet er zo goed uit, ze ligt hier te lachen’. Elke nam de tijd om samen alles eens goed te overlopen, mogelijks  is de tongriem bij Juno wat te kort waardoor ze niet efficiënt genoeg drinkt en het ook niet lukt om zonder tepelhoed te drinken. Op dat moment zijn er 2 opties: ik start terug met 7 keer op een dag kolven zodat ze via een flesje kan drinken, we gaan op consultatie om haar tongriem te laten nakijken en eventueel te laten knippen en – als het zou helpen – kan ze opnieuwe aan de borst (leren) drinken. De tweede optie is de borstvoeding afbouwen en starten met flesvoeding. Met veel tranen en pijn in het hart heb ik voor de tweede optie gekozen. Ik had gewoon het gevoel dat ik die onzekerheid niet langer kon volhouden. En Juno verdient toch een mama die zich optimaal voelt? Die echt kan genieten van de tijd samen thuis? Sowieso begon ik terug te kolven, zodat Juno van een flesje kon drinken wat voor haar makkelijker is, maar begon ondertussen ook af te bouwen. Gelukkig kon ik niet alleen rekenen op de vroedvrouwen van Zwanger in Brussel ‘Soms is het gewoon echt moeilijk, je moet je hier niet slecht over voelen’ maar ook op mijn omgeving voor de onvoorwaardelijke steun.

Ik mis de intimiteit van de borstvoeding, ik had het zo graag anders gezien, ook omdat ik weet dat dat nu eenmaal het beste is voor je kindje. Maar als de haat in de haat-liefde verhouding begint te overwegen kan het Juno ook niet ten goede komen. Dat besef ik al te goed, maar toch was het echt geen gemakkelijke belissing. Ik probeer niet teveel na te denken over de ‘wat als we toch de andere optie gekozen zouden hebben’, ik heb Juno 10 weken en 4 dagen uitsluitend borstvoeding gegeven en ben daar heel fier op. Dit was niet gelukt zonder de hulp en de ondersteuning van Zwanger in Brussel, dank je wel!

Mijn borstvoedingsverhaalkeyboard_arrow_down

"Ach, als pediater hoef ik jou niet veel te leren! Jij weet natuurlijk alles van baby´s"

Hoe vaak heb ik deze zin wel niet gehoord. En hoe ontzettend klein voelde ik me, omdat ik juist vond dat dat níet zo was. Wat nee, ik snapte er niks van. Dat kleine wezentje wat zo verschrikkelijk veel gevoelens in mij losmaakte. Zo veel liefde, maar ook zo veel wanhoop en frustratie. Dat kleine wezentje wat zo gewenst was. Zelfs zo gewenst dat ik er, ondanks een hele drukke baan als kinderarts, alleen aan begon. Dat wezentje wat me twee lange jaren liet hopen en wanhopen voordat ik het mocht verwelkomen.

Toen ik eenmaal zwanger was, had ik het geromantiseerde beeld van de baby aan de borst in mijn hoofd. Want dat het borstvoeding zou worden, stond voor mij vast. Ik informeerde mij, las talloze borstvoedingsboeken en dacht de meest voorkomende problemen te kennen. Ik kende het belang van het eerste borstvoedingsmoment, ik wist dat goed aanhappen belangrijk was en dat de borstvoeding geen echte pijn mocht doen, ik besefte dat er een leercurve van enkele weken zou zijn voordat het makkelijker zou gaan. Maar ik wist niet dat theorie en praktijk zo mijlenver uiteen konden liggen…

Ik was 40 4/7 weken zwanger toen mijn kleine wezentje na een lange arbeid door zijn sterrenkijkerspositie ter wereld kwam. Na bijna 36 uur weeën was ook mijn baarmoeder moe en verloor ik op korte tijd veel bloed. Te veel bloed. Op het moment dat mijn zoon begon te zoeken naar de borst, werd ik met een veel te lage bloeddruk bijgevuld en volgestopt met medicatie. Op het moment dat ik weer een beetje bij de levenden was, was zoonlief tevreden sabbelend op zijn handje tegen mij aan in slaap gevallen. So far het eerste borstvoedingsmoment.

Ook de dagen erna waren moeilijk: het lukt mijn zoon niet om aan te happen. De combinatie van grote borsten met relatief vlakke tepels en een ongeduldig en hongerig mannetje waren niet ideaal. De vroedvrouwen in het ziekenhuis probeerden hem keer op keer aan de borst te krijgen. Maar ondanks soms 20 of 25 pogingen lukte het niet om hem meer dan 2 of 3 slokken te laten drinken.

Na 2 dagen begon mijn zoon al te overstrekken als ik hem maar installeerde op het borstvoedingskussen om voeding te geven. Mijn baby naar de borst toe bewegen was simpelweg onmogelijk geworden, zo hard als hij zich tegen die beweging verzette waarin elke vroedvrouw hem probeerde te dwingen. Mijn tepels waren rauw door alle aanlegpogingen en de verkeerde techniek. Mijn lichaam schreeuwde "stop" en gelukkig luisterde ik: ik zou alleen nog zelf proberen aanleggen en enkel als de zoon ontspannen was. Na 2 dagen kolven en bijvoeden, het knippen van het tongriempje en 3 types tepelhoedjes later dronk mijn zoon op dag 5 voor het eerst aan de borst.

En toen gingen we naar huis. De ene dag ging beter dan de andere, maar na 4 weken zat ik nog altijd met enorm diepe tepelkloven en pijn, en die stomme tepelhoedjes waardoor de voedingen steeds 1-1.5 uur duurden, er veel lucht werd geslikt en mijn zoon enorm veel krampen en wind had. Mijn eigen thuisvroedvrouw en een lactatiekundige uit het ziekenhuis wisten intussen niet meer goed hoe ze mij en mijn zoon konden helpen.

Intussen was ik óp. Óp van vermoeidheid, óp van de zenuwen. Borstvoeding geven was een obsessie geworden. Want zou ik dan die ene kinderarts zijn die geen borstvoeding zou kunnen geven? In een laatste poging om mijn borstvoeding te redden kwam ik bij Zwanger in Brussel terecht. Ik mocht nog dezelfde week komen. In plaats van binnen 10 minuten te besluiten dat er niks mis was met de aanhap maar dat mijn zoon gewoon een beetje onrustig was, besteedde Elke bijna 1.5 uur aan mij en mijn zoon. Met geduld liet ze hem keer op keer opnieuw proberen juist aan te happen, kalmeerde hem tussendoor, en probeerde opnieuw.

Ook de weken erna werd ik fantastisch ondersteund en groeide mijn vertrouwen in de borstvoeding en in mijzelf als mama. Met veel begeleiding en geduld lukte het me na 8 weken eindelijk om mijn zoon borstvoeding te geven zonder tepelhoedje. De Babyboost (toen nog "Moedermelk en Boterhammen") werd mijn steunnetwerk. Ik durf zelfs te zeggen dat deze dames (vroedvrouwen én andere mama´s) me gered hebben. Eindelijk durfde ik toe te geven dat ik níet alles wist. Dat ik gewoon mama was van mijn eerste kindje, en niet iemand die door haar opleiding alles al moest weten. Dat het oké was dat ik af en toe de wanhoop nabij was, en dat ik dat niet allemaal alleen moest oplossen.

Mijn zoon is intussen bijna 3 jaar oud, maar de dames van de Babyboost spreek ik nog steeds. En ook mijn dochter (11 maanden oud) is een echte Zwanger in Brussel-baby. De ervaring van die tweede is compleet anders, mede omdat ik weet tot wie ik mij kan wenden als ik vragen/ onzekerheden heb.

Dank u Zwanger in Brussel, om mij als kinderarts te leren dat ik gewoon mama mag zijn….

{{ popup_title }}

{{ popup_close_text }}